Given the occasion of the day, here is a list of 10 absolute facts that, no matter how you look at them, will put one of the most bizarre and devious yet commercially successful days in the modern man’s life that has its ramifications throughout every medium to super sized economy in the world in its true and vile light. These ten facts are excerpts from Lia and Nick Romeo’s wonderful and life revealing book 11,002 Things To Be Miserable About. You are welcome!
1. In the two week period leading up to Valentine’s Day, American sales of gold jewelry lead to 34 million metric tons of waste.
2. The vast majority of roses sold for Valentine’s Day in the U.S. are imported from South America, wasting fossil fuels.
3. Valentine’s Day traces its roots to an ancient pagan holiday called Lupercalia, in which men stripped naked, grabbed whips, and spanked young women in hopes of increasing their fertility.
4. The Christian martyr St. Valentine was beheaded on February 14 for performing marriages in secret.
5. Research suggests that 75 percent of suicide attempts are attributable to relationship problems.
6. 46 percent of Americans will exchange Valentine’s Day candy which is related the static that shows 67 percent of Americans are overweight or obese.
7. A recent poll found that one in ten young adults admitted to feeling lonely, insecure, depressed, or unwanted on Valentine’s Day. And that’s just the ones that admitted it.
8. The famous St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, in which seven Chicago gangsters were gunned down on February 14, 1929, was one of the bloodiest in mob history (pictured above).
9. 64 percent of American men do not make Valentine’s Day plans in advance.
10. Candy hearts taste like crap.
Bonus Point To Remember:
11. Even if you’re really, really in love right now, you’re still going to die eventually.
[Post: 206 of 365] [Days Missed: 62]
Did you like what you found here ? Consider clicking the ‘Like’ button below, it will mean a great deal for me. Better yet, share it with your friends using those little social-networking icons shown below. I’d appreciate it.